Monday, November 7, 2016

Leaving Holden



I only scored a 3 on the “Delivers Results” section of my six month review. Gulp. A 3 isn’t a very good mark. I was blindsided. I needed improvements made in many sections. I did not know the village had reviews till the day before. 

But the important thing is that the things that matter and add value don’t compute in tidy columns or add up on this sort of corporate institutionalized measuring stick. 

Trudy told me when I started that my real job was to make the craft area a warm and welcoming place. And Peg told me to just do what I do. I was happy and willing to do this. 

There have been wonderful, enchanting, magical things that have happened down in my work space that my supervisors don’t know about. Perhaps these never tells have changed someone’s afternoon, or day, or year? I hope so. 

A potter I know always tells people when they weigh their homely, clumsy first piece of bad pottery that “you can’t weigh art.” 

My dearly beloved……

Go make something happen. Make art. Your lives are poems and stories that aren’t finished yet. Rip up that review and keep that stack of love notes and thank you cards. Measure your worth and value by how you care for others, how much nourishment and aid you offer, by how generous you are with grace and giving out A’s. Be lavish with kisses and hugs and well done’s. 
Don’t fear the performance police. Don’t be merely a cog or robot when what the world needs are linchpins. The world needs your curiosity and enchantment and the magic way you see. 

Serving, being hospitable, loving, seeing and meeting the needs around you…..these things are never on the bulletin boards, nor is there data available to prove it happened. But those who have received your care and love and respect know. You know. That’s all that matters.  I give you and A +. You have changed my life in unbelievably sweet ways. I’m so glad to be a part of your lives. Relationships are what give us momentum and energy for doing our day jobs. Relationships are the only things that we take with us forever. I want to take you with me for the rest of my life and beyond. 

What are you doing that the people around you have shining eyes. Keep doing that. 

A review has no capacity or ability to measure flourishing or those who help others flourish.  

I hope the magic and enchantment of Holden Village comes back. But in order for that to happen it needs a connection with its heart and soul again. Brains managing managers in the context of a business will never seed and grow hospitality and servant leadership in a village community. 

I recommend every staff member and manager be required to read Seth Godin's Linchpin and Ben Zander's The Art of Possibility. 

We left the village yesterday with tears streaming. But we didn't leave with any shame. It wasn't a rash decision. We don't regret our time there. It has been an incredible experience and we have grown and stretched and grown wings. We feel privileged to have been part of the work that will enable guests to come again after the mine remediation ends this year. 

Thank you Holden Village for eight incredible months. It has changed the trajectory of our lives. 

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Kathleen, I have to say, I'm shocked. You gave up a life where you where, even your home, and went where people "review" you; my God! How awful. That is not what life is about. What is important cannot be measured.

I'm glad you went with heads raised.

The world is too-long waiting for love.

Wishing you blessings and peace. ~ M

Anonymous said...

Oh friend! My heart aches for you as I read this! And now, where will your new adventure take you?? Pam

Laurie said...

Beautiful beautiful! Thank you for shining the light and always providing encouraging words. The next spot is anxiously awaiting your gifts, love, warmth and brilliance. I cannot wait to catch up face-to-face. Love you to the moon

Kathleen Overby said...

Thanks, my friends. We are going to Orcas Island to rest and catch up with our girls. Then when we are able we will dream of new adventures and a future where we can again offer our gifts. -Kathleen