Monday, June 18, 2012

Emily's Gate

It unlatched a welcome
for them to leave posies
and guitar player's
plastic on the alter
above her bones.

Someone said they
left whatever was in
their pockets.

I think they left a
begging need to
borrow her way
of fleshing out
words.

I clutch my camera
that saved the day
and leave nothing
of mine behind.



Amherst ~ Emily Dickinson's Grave. Glenworkshop 2012 at Mt Holyoke College





This is for Maureen Doallas. I wanted her walking with me through history. 


4 comments:

Maureen said...

How sweet of you, Kathleen. It's been such a long time since I've been in S. Hadley, where my mother was born, and Amherst. I think you'd like Salem, too.

Did you get a chance to see 'The Little White House Project' on the Homestead's grounds?

Kathleen Overby said...

Yes. At first I REALLY didn't like them. By the end of the day, I could appreciate their simplicity and understand.....words dwell. They were fun to photograph, too.

Luanne Austin said...

Love your poem! I didn't get to go (maybe next year), so this gave me a sense of the mood of the day.

W. Stauffer said...

love the poem, Kathleen.