Friday, December 18, 2009

Book of Comfort

This leatherbound book with
gold leafed pages and a brass
clasp was purchased at a thrift
store for less than a dollar.

It was unwanted and unappreciated.

I found it, bought it and consider
it a priceless treasure.

It has a date of 1857 inside, published in Belfast. It is called "Garden of the Soul" a book for Catholics, which I'm not.

It doesn't matter. It is beautiful, and gardening is my soulish passion?

Being one of many who have held it, is a privilege.

It might have experienced first hand 'The Troubles' in Ireland, immigration, the stress of navigating Ellis Island or possibly the perils of a hard and lonely pioneer life.

I imagine it brought comfort to the hearts and hands of those who held it close.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this one is new to me, what is in it?
and what is it's size?

Kathleen Overby said...

4x6 inches, sort of like what we think of as a daily devotional? It feels warm in my hands.

Amanda Thomas said...

A dollar? You're so right, it is a priceless find! It's sad that something published so long ago would be considered by some to have so little worth. It is beautiful, I wish I were even half so fortunate in my thrift store outings!