Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nix On It...

Being transparent about our marriage is a little bit exposing.  Oh well.  Maybe it will suspend some beliefs of other couples and help other people hear about a different way of romance.  

As Valentine's Day comes around, Craig and I do what we call a temperature check with the love thermometer, to make sure what has always been, is still working for us. 

We are strange in our culture.  This is one of the few years he is getting a homely homemade card from me, just because I am in the mood to make one.   We typically don't cave into the pressure that is exerted by ads, Hallmark, the media to give each other extravagant gifts, or getaways on Valentine's Day or our anniversary, or go out to fancy meals on those days. 

It just hasn't been our custom.   We both like real.   The expectations of  'THE DAY' can be a burden.  When 'THEY' dictate how it has to be, in order for it to qualify as 'romantic' it can be so disappointing and leave you both flat.  Once in a while we spontaneously will go out to dinner on our anniversary, but it is serendipitous.  

But on the other hand,  are we romantic?  Absolutely YES!    It fits us though, and probably wouldn't fit anyone else....custom made.    I think so many men think they have to dream up some huge lavish weekend with all the bells and whistle's, then outdo themselves the next time to one up it.   For me, it isn't true.   Guess I'm a cheap easy date, because I love how Craig serves it up....no pressure to perform for either of us.

Craig is the most romantic man in the world because he studies me, my needs, wants and desires.   It fits me to a tee, the sweet things he does, and most the time it is something extremely simple:  

An invite to go for a drive, meandering along the backroads.... 
A coffee date-the man knows exactly how I like my coffee..... 
Every once in a great while he buys me a Safeway bouquet without breaking the bank account.
Sometimes he runs my tubbath.... 
He offers to put lotion on my feet.... 
One of the tenderest things he does is to wash my hair for me in the shower...
An e-mail love note waiting for me when I and my laptop wake up......
When he looks at me like he would pick me all over again if he could do it over again...
When he wants to cuddle with me until I'm satiated, and renewed..... 
If he tucks my hair behind my ear........
Singing old love songs and asking me to dance......

Now for the most-est best-est wonderfulness:  

When Craig finds water for me to splash in, he pretty much has me body, heart and soul, even if he doesn't get in with me.   During the summer, after working hard in the yard he will see this look on my  face and will somehow know that I need water.  He'll air up my float and take me up to the Jordan Bridge, drop me off with a sweet kiss and wave me off, then pick me up in 2 hours at River Meadows.  He lets me hug him dripping wet and kisses the smile he put there. 
That is romance to me.     

I'm so thankful that he takes the risk to give me these simple things that rock my world, melt my heart,  and go against everything in our world that pushes for "diamonds".  

Thank you my love for truly knowing how, learning how, practicing all the time.....the skill of being romantical!   I hope you feel this sense of being loved and respected from me, although I know I'm not as good at it as you.   Happy Valentine's Day, our way..........     :)


No comments: