Monday, January 12, 2009

Wine Faux Pas

My family didn't drink. Alcohol was a big, big no no. One of many.

On my 21st birthday in Alaska, my best friends took me to the very nicest restaurant in town called Clinkerdaggers, Bickerstaff and Petts. We were dressed as spiffy as possible, however, at the time we looked quite peculiar in public. All of us had long hair up in buns, long dresses, no jewelry, no make-up. Modest and very unworldly girls.

We wanted so much to be hip and sophisticated; wine with our meal would make it seem so. My roommate was the most knowledgeable one of us. She bluffed her way through ordering the bottle. I was seated on the end. The cute young waiter brought it out with a white towel draped over his arm, uncorked it ceremoniously to his audience of awestruck girls, then handed the cork to me.

A wholesome alcohol free country life hadn't prepared me for this, nor had I seen anyone do it in real life or the movies. Puzzled, I licked it and passed it on. All 6 of us licked it innocently in turn. The last girl sweetly handed it back to him.

This young man had a noble heart, acting as if it was a common thing at this establishment. He poured our wine without a snicker.

Looking back, knowing more - the entire kitchen staff probably stuffed their mouths with kitchen towels to stifle their laughter when he returned. That story must have been a tension reliever for years and years at the place.

I still get very tense when the wine comes out and never make eye contact with the server. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hysterical! I read this to Kevin on our way home last night. We were in tears! :) How funny!

Kathleen Overby said...

Truth is stranger than fiction and funnier, at least in my life! You still want to come out this summer? It could be dangerous...

Anonymous said...

With you, life is always an adventure!

Anonymous said...

I am totally enjoying these blogs! You are SOOO FUNNY! ss

Ann Kroeker said...

What a story! I love it!!